Re: [grobj] Referrals problem statement at IETF 79

Sheng Jiang <shengjiang@huawei.com> Tue, 09 November 2010 12:53 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 20:53:52 +0800
From: Sheng Jiang <shengjiang@huawei.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Cc: grobj@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [grobj] Referrals problem statement at IETF 79

In 2010/11/9 18:07, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> I presented the draft Problem Statement for Referral
> <draft-carpenter-referral-ps-01.txt>  by myself, Sheng Jiang, and
> Bo Zhou (departing author) and Zhen Cao (new author, ChinaMobile),
> three times: in the two open meetings for the Applications and
> Transport Areas, and in the Name Based Sockets (NBS) BOF.

Thanks Brian for the hard work.

> There was significant interest and feedback in the APPAREA meeting,
> with comments that we had identified an important problem but perhaps
> not the correct direction for a solution. There was feedback that
> applications people also want a solution to the path selection problem
> (in other words, the network layer should fix the mess it's made over
> the last 15 years with NATs and two versions of IP).

I guess we are in very early stage of designing the solution. We would
like to hear any suggestion. We are welcome to the requirements from
application side. I guess only after we clearly describe the problems we
need to solve, we can decide with direction we may go.

> In the TSVAREA meeting, there was some positive discussion and agreement
> that the problem statement should be further developed.

We are working on the problem statement, for sure. But at the same time,
we (or IETF) should decide which area this work should be hold.
Personally, I think this is work in transport layer which serves
applications eventually. So, it should stay in transport area, but
requiring application people to be deeply involved.

Regards,

Sheng