Re: [grobj] Referral definition and its purpose?

"Dan Wing" <dwing@cisco.com> Thu, 27 May 2010 00:21 UTC

From: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
To: 'Sheng Jiang' <shengjiang@huawei.com>, grobj@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 17:21:01 -0700
Subject: Re: [grobj] Referral definition and its purpose?

The definition of referral should be tightened up slightly
that the parties are exchanging the information via one
channel (e.g., SIP signaling) but want to communicate (as)
directly (as possible) with each other *not* using that
channel.  I often get asked "if they can communicate referral
information with each other, why don't they just use that
communication channel for everything else?".

In SIP, this is often called the "SIP trapezoid".
We can generalize this a bit resulting in the following
figure:

   +-----------+       +-----------+
   |application|       |application|
   | server(s) +.......+ server(s )|
   +---+-------+       +-------+---+
      /                         \
     |                           |
     |   referral information    |
     |                           |
     |                           |
   +-+-+                       +-+-+
   | A +-----------------------+ B |
   +---+ direct communication  +---+

The application server(s) might be one single server, a distributed hash
table, two servers, or any sort of combination.  The referral data is carried
on bewtween A and B on the top, through those servers.  A and B are trying to
communicate directly with one another, using the communication line at the
bottom.

A simplier model which is good to think about is a simple protocol which
collapses the model above, such as FTP.  FTP follows the same model as above,
except the 'application server' is the FTP server and FTP control channel
(TCP/21) is what carries the referral (PASV, EPSV, PORT, EPRT).  TFTP is
another example of a collapsed model.

   +-+-+                            +-+-+
   |   |   FTP control connection   |   |
   |   |   (referral information)   |   |