[GROW] Genart Telechat review: draft-ietf-grow-filtering-threats-07

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Mon, 17 August 2015 17:48 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 12:48:06 -0500
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
To: General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, grow@ietf.org, draft-ietf-grow-filtering-threats.all@ietf.org
Subject: [GROW] Genart Telechat review: draft-ietf-grow-filtering-threats-07

by the IESG for the IETF Chair. Please wait for direction from your
document shepherd or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-grow-filtering-threats-07
Reviewer: Robert Sparks
Review Date: 17 Aug 2015
IETF LC End Date: 2 Jul 2015
IESG Telechat date: 20 Aug 2015

Nits/editorial comments:

Thanks for removing the text suggesting when operators might charge
each other.

I still find the document ambiguous about what it's stating as the
consensus of the IETF. In the places you changed how you used
"we", you did the very thing I asked to to resist - you say things now
like "The authors recommend". What is the IETF saying? Is it that the
IETF agrees that's what the authors recommend? Or is the IETF
recommending this.

This needs to be edited to speak _only_ in terms of what the IETF
recommends. I'm classifying this as a NIT since it's editorial, but I'm
worried it's more than that. I encourage the IESG to consider whether
this is a bigger issue.

You still draw this conclusion:
"The authors observe that proactive approaches can be
    complex to implement and can lead to undesired effects, and thus
    conclude that the reactive approach is the more reasonable
    recommendation to deal with unexpected flows."

What is the IETF consensus position on what is more reasonable, and is it
even necessary for the IETF to recommend one approach over the other.
Why is it not sufficient to simply document the considerations with each
approach and stop there?

Not much was done with my last suggestion. I still think the document needs
a strong editorial revision along the lines suggested below.