Re: [GROW] draft-behringer-lla-only and draft-ietf-grow-private-ip-sp-cores

Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net> Mon, 23 July 2012 01:28 UTC

From: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 21:28:37 -0400
To: Michael Behringer <mbehring@cisco.com>
Cc: "grow@ietf.org" <grow@ietf.org>, Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>, "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>, "draft-behringer-lla-only@tools.ietf.org" <draft-behringer-lla-only@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [GROW] draft-behringer-lla-only and draft-ietf-grow-private-ip-sp-cores

On Jul 17, 2012, at 8:48 AM, Michael Behringer (mbehring) wrote:

> Wes,
>
> Thanks for your great input and sorry for the delay. In the meantime we have updated our draft to include many of your (and others') comments. (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-behringer-lla-only-01). Most importantly, we made it now an informational draft.
>
> We believe it is best to keep the drafts separate.

Excellent (actually, I believe that draft-ietf-grow-private-ip-sp-cores lies with the IESG at the moment, and so it kinda has to stay separate)...

> There are important differences between private addresses and link local: One is routed, one is not; one needs to be configured, one not. We added however a xref to draft-ietf-grow-private-ip-sp-cores, because as you rightly comment, they are related.

Cool.

> We still think there is value in draft-behringer-lla-only. Bottom line, we want to provide a document presenting the issues and advantages that allows operators to make an educated decision whether link local is the right approach for them.
>
> We'll ask for slots in Vancouver at v6ops and opsec to discuss the new version.

Excellent, and just to close the loop (so v6ops / grow folk know), you did ask, and we've created a slot on the OpSec agenda  (15min, Wednesday, Aug 1, 13:00 - 15:00, Georgia B) for this...