Re: [GSMP] draft-ietf-gsmp-reqs-01.txt

Jonathan Sadler <jonathan.sadler@tellabs.com> Sat, 09 March 2002 00:31 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 18:20:45 -0600
From: Jonathan Sadler <jonathan.sadler@tellabs.com>
To: gsmp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [GSMP] draft-ietf-gsmp-reqs-01.txt
Sender: gsmp-admin@ietf.org

Avri and Jonathan -

I see the majority of LMP's functions (control channel coordination/
health monitoring and bearer channel coordination/capability exchange)
being terminated within the controller, not in the
switch/line-terminals.
Two extensions, though, are necessary to support these functions,
specifically:

1. Better communication of the capabilities of a port and a node so
   that they can be reported in capability exchange.  This has already
   been identified in draft-ietf-gsmp-reqs-01.txt.  (See Sec 4, items 3
   and 5)

2. The port test facility in GSMP will also need to be extended to deal
   with verification as well as discovery.  This extension will need to
   be not only consistant with LMP but also G.7714

Fault identification/reporting is already a property of GSMP, but
should be analyzed to validate that these reports will make it from
the switch to a controller in as expediant manor possible.  Part of
this is provided by fault correlation, which has also been identified in
draft-ietf-gsmp-reqs-01.txt (See Sec 4, item 15).

avri wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tend to agree.  Any idea which subset?
> Also any idea what commands will it affect?
>
> thanks
> a.
>
> Jonathan Lang wrote:
>
> > Avri,
> >   I believe LMP should be included in the support for GMPLS.  However, I
> > think only a subset of the LMP procedures apply.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jonathan

and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
reproduction, dissemination or distribution of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Thank you.
Tellabs