Re: [GSMP] Shorter msg for add reservations

Kenneth Sundell <ksundell@nortelnetworks.com> Mon, 23 June 2003 12:04 UTC

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:06:34 +0200
From: Kenneth Sundell <ksundell@nortelnetworks.com>
To: avri <avri@apocalypse.org>
CC: gsmp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [GSMP] Shorter msg for add reservations
Sender: gsmp-admin@ietf.org

hi avri,
comments are inline.

avri wrote:

> As promised a specific message on header compression.
>
> On Monday, Jun 16, 2003, at 12:15 Asia/Seoul, avri wrote:
>

>> - there has been an issue concerning the size of the gsmp
>> message header brought up by the folks working on
>> optical burst switching - i will send a specific message to the
>> list on this issue.
>>

> So, what do people think?
>
> Should there be a general mechanism inserted similar to the
> short headers we removed over 2 years ago?  Some new sort
> of header compression?
>
> Should there be a new mechanism related solely to reservations.
> I.e. a new add-reservation message is created that includes only
>
> [vers, sub, msg type, result, code]
> [partition id, transaction id]
> [reservation id]
> [I, submsg, length]  or is this needed - though we may be able to
>                                use a bulk mechanism for other add-resv
> uses

I think it makes sence. I would prefer not to change existing messages
for two reasons; existing implementations are using the messages and
secondly, there is no room for additional flags in the headers. I would
suggest to add a message type for the purpose. If the new message type
is believed to be usable for other switch types as well i would propose
putting it into the base spec.

> anything else?   and is this still too big?

I can't see how to make it smaller if we should keep using the general
headers.

> And does the reservation message need to  changed
> to allow for these complete reservations.  What, if anything needs
> to be added to the reservation message?

The reservation management message is specified to allow reservation of
resources before the labels (to be coupled to the resources) are known,
e.g. in the case of MPLS downstream on demand label distribution. I
think that message type serves its purpose already and doesn't need to
be modified. I think a new msg type should be added.

> Opinions?  suggestions?
>
> Please, speak up. As an editor, I am am working on the
> update for the upcoming meeting at the moment, and need
> guidance.
>
> As a co-chair, I would like to know if there is consensus on making
> such a change.
>
> I encourage the Optical draft team to discuss their rationale and needs
> on the list in response to this message.

Will this change be helpful to the optical design team? I would be
interested in hearing their opinion.

Cheers,
Ken