Re: [Hipsec] New version of the HICCUPS draft

Varjonen Samu <samu.varjonen@hiit.fi> Tue, 04 November 2008 15:23 UTC

Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:23:15 +0200
From: Varjonen Samu <samu.varjonen@hiit.fi>
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
Cc: HIP <hipsec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Hipsec] New version of the HICCUPS draft
Sender: hipsec-bounces@ietf.org

Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
> Folks,
>
> we have just submitted a new version of the HICCUPS draft:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nikander-hip-hiccups-01.txt
>
> As usual, comments are welcome.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gonzalo

Hi,

Some comments and questions on draft-nikander-hip-hiccups-01. These are
the points where I would like to see some clarifications.

In section 3 in the definition of the HIP DATA packet, it says that the
optional parameters are SEQ and ACK and on the next line they are
SEQ_DATA and ACK_DATA.

Same section in the reference to RFC5201 and end of section 2.1.1, a
question. Currently Next Header is set to 0x3B (59) "No Next Header",
Should there be "TBD IANA" for a new value for this field because now
there is data after the header and the definition of 59 is
"Note that there is also a "dummy" extension header called No Next
Header that has a value of 59. This is a placeholder that when found in
the Next Header field indicates that there is nothing after that
extension header." and this says there is *nothing* after the header.

section 3.3 Next Header, "identifies the data that protected by this..."
to "Identifies the data that is protected by this..."

Section 4.2 the generation of a HIP DATA packet. Where and how exactly
is the data gotten from the upper-layer? This is not handled in the
draft. To me this sounds like it should be handled in native API draft
for natively HIP aware applications  and for legacy applications by
doing local policies like "protocols that would use UDP should use HIP
DATA instead". Now the draft just gets the data from "somewhere".

Same section point 1, the host just takes a sequence number. I think it
would be easier to just use monotonically increasing sequence numbers as
the original SEQ and its UPDATE id does. Then the book keeping on which
numbers are used is much simpler.

Same as above, more clarification on the processing window, duration,
how it is defined and so on.

Same section point 4, how is RTT estimate calculated? Is there some
uniform way to do this or can implementors just decide on one. For
example TCP has some initial values and information on how to calculate
the estimates, should we have something similar?

Same section point 5, is the DATA_ENTRY_MAX totally based upon local
policy or is there some HIP default?

Same section and point, about the error notification and its
counterpart, should also ACKed HIP DATA packets be ACKed to the
application. This actually could be too much but for some applications
it could be a useful socket option in Native API.

Section 4.3 "The host MAY responds..." to "The host MAY respond..."

Same section, "... if the packet contained SEQ_DATA and PAYLOAD_HMAC
parameter. Because PAYLOAD_HMAC is mandatory parameter in HIP DATA
packet it would be enough to say if it contained SEQ_DATA

Section 4.3.1, How long ago is this recently received, so how long and
how much HIP DATA packets do I need to cache.

Same section, "...to avoid generating a new ACK packet to respond to a
*replayed* HIP DATA packet". What is the valid reason for replay any
packets and is it not that the idea in using sequence numbers should be
used to fight against replay attacks, as it says on the same paragraph?

A question about the fragmentation in section 5. In section 5.3. in RFC
5201 it says that HIP packets MUST NOT be fragmented, doesn't this
include IP-layer fragmentation or not? Or did I just misinterpret that
line.

BR,
Samu Varjonen