[Hipsec-rg] Forward Confirmed reverse DNS & HIP dns proxy

miika.komu at hiit.fi (Miika Komu) Fri, 08 May 2009 19:11 UTC

From: "miika.komu at hiit.fi"
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 22:11:36 +0300
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] Forward Confirmed reverse DNS & HIP dns proxy

Oleg Ponomarev wrote:

Hi,

> Hi!
>
> It is not implementation-specific, so I move the discussion to this
> mailing list? We stumbled across such a question: if a host has both HIP
> and non-HIP connections and uses a HIP DNS proxy for the legacy
> applications.
>
> There is an incoming connection from 2001:708:140:220::2, it is resolved
> to hipl.infrahip.net, then hipl.infrahip.net has a HIP RR and gets
> resolved to 2001:19:c0ff:5d7e:d547:ec9b:37c3:44c6 (via DNS proxy)
> instead of 2001:708:140:220::2. The forward-confirmation is broken and
> there are warnings about possible attacks and so on.
>
> Has this trouble been discussed before? Do you have any ideas?
>
> One way would be to resolve:
>
> 2001:708:140:220::2 -> hipl.infrahip.net.NOHIP.
> hipl.infrahip.net.NOHIP. -> 2001:708:140:220::2 hipl.infrahip.net. ->
> 2001:19:c0ff:5d7e:d547:ec9b:37c3:44c6
>
> There would be no warning about FCrDNS, but an ACL for
> hipl.infrahip.net. would not apply either.

"how to solve this" is a good question. Another question is "what's the
impact". The constraints that limit the impact are i) the hosts have
both HIP and non-HIP connections to each other and ii) both hosts
establish connections to each other. It would be interesting to try to
list applications that behave in such manner.

Alternative solutions to the problem is to track pid numbers (or some
other DNS query related numbers) or use timeouts (exclude hits after n
milliseconds after the reverse query). However, such approaches are not
reliable and I like your suggestion better.