Re: [hiprg] Putting HIP on a Diet

gao.yang2@zte.com.cn Tue, 18 May 2010 00:47 UTC

To: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com>
From: gao.yang2@zte.com.cn
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 08:43:20 +0800
Cc: hipsec@ietf.org, hiprg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [hiprg] Putting HIP on a Diet

Hi Bob,

I squint towards this definition and evolution direction for HIP:

"HIP a class of protocols built on a Host Identity, each bring a slightly
different set of security claims and risks and a slightly different
domain of use."

This might make HIP more OPEN for many aspect.

Thanks,

Gao

===================================
 Zip    : 210012
 Tel    : 87211
 Tel2   :(+86)-025-52877211
 e_mail : gao.yang2@zte.com.cn
===================================

Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com>
发件人:  hiprg-bounces@irtf.org
2010-05-18 00:03

收件人
hipsec@ietf.org, hiprg@irtf.org
抄送

主题
[hiprg] Putting HIP on a Diet

I am posting this update to both mailing lists.  Eventhough I started
all of this and am now working hard to rev HIP for Standards Track, I
still will follow establish procedures on evolving HIP.

To that end, we are all fairly well aware that sensor vendors chafe at
how much crypto cruft we load into a Key Management System like HIP and
go about taking things out without really looking at the basis of why we
do things as they are.  Back during IETF 77 I committed to developing a
slimmer HIP.  A HIP Diet EXchange (DEX).  To this end I reviewed all we
have done and why and what the options are.  A few key points have come
out:

The cost of Diffie-Hellman.

Diffie-Hellman, even the Elliptic Curve version, is an important
component in HIP, but it forces the use of HMAC to extract a uniformly
distributed key.  Other areas where HMAC are used COULD use CMAC (though
need to work out a new puzzle mechanism, see below).  The alternative to
Diffie-Hellman is a key wrap by a RSA/ECC key, like in TLS.   The
Initiator CAN do this in I2, but it is HARD to get a key from the
Responder in 4 packets.  Putting an encrypted key in R2 would mean that
the MAC in I2 is different than R2 (one possiblity) or if the encrypted
key is in R1, then there are flooding attack concerns.  All things to
work out to pull D-H from a Dietetic HIP.

Also, by definition, SIGMA compliance is built on Diffie-Helman.
Perfect Forward Secrecy is build on Diffie-Hellman we would have to
'approximate' SIGMA with PK key wrapping; the same with PFS.

The cost of HMAC.

As I mentioned above, Diffie-Hellman currently requires HMAC.  Otherwise
HMAC use in both the puzzle and the HIP_MAC COULD be replaced with CMAC.

The cost of hashing.

Whew, HIP is built on hashing.  What security claims do we really need
for the HIT?  Collision Avoidance enough?  Could some compress function
be used in place of SHA for HIT generation?  Switching to CMAC over HMAC
addresses the other uses of hashing.

In summary.

What is HIP?  Is HIP the exchange we have now have and only that?  Or is
HIP a class of protocols built on a Host Identity, each bring a slightly
different set of security claims and risks and a slightly different
domain of use?  I am willing leaving my comfort zone with BEX and am
defining DEX:  HIP Diet EXchange:

A compress function that generates a HIT from an ECDSA Host Identity
(160, 224, and possibly 256 bits large).
CMAC for macing functions and key expansion.
Public Key secret wrapping for key distribution.

If anyone wants to help on the details, let me know.  I need a new
puzzle using CMAC.  I need a compress function for HIT generation.  The
goal is a full draft before the IETF 78 cutoff date and hopefully a good
start by the end of this month.  Work will be done in HIPrg if it does
not fit in HIPsec, but this will really be pushed towards the IEEE
802.15 community.

Thank you for listening to my ramblings.  If you have addtional
thoughts, share them here or privately with me.