[hiprg] draft-irtf-hiprg-rfid-00.txt

Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> Tue, 06 July 2010 18:18 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 14:18:27 -0400
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com>
To: Pascal Urien <pascal.urien@gmail.com>, hiprg@irtf.org
Subject: [hiprg] draft-irtf-hiprg-rfid-00.txt

In sec 1.5 you have "imitator", do you mean "initiator"?

In sec 2.3 you have "nul".  This is the only place with this spelling.

In sec 2.3:

each Hmac beeing assocaited to a particular key.

should be

each Hmac being associated to a particular key.

I have problems with the HIP parameter named  "Signature-T".  This is a
MAC and should be labeled accordingly.  The lable "Signature" should be
reserved for digital signiture algorithms like RSA, DSA, and ECDSA.

You use KI and ki seemingly to mean two different things.  You should
separate your labeling to avoid potential confusion.  (unless I am
confused and they ARE the same thing and just they should be the same case).

It looks like your Initiator HIT is a 128 bit random value.  I feel this
is a BAD THING, as HITs in BEX and DEX are used as IPv6 addresses in
applications and implementors might think that BEX-T HITs can be used
thusly as well.  This MAY produce undesired routing behaviour if the
'prefix' is that of a routable IPv6 address.  You can do it one of two
ways.  Use the same /28 prefix as BEX and ask for a HIT Suite ID or get
a different /28 prefix.  The first option limits your random value to 96
bits and eats up a HIT Suite.  The later requires you to get your own
allocation.

I do not see what use the HIP_TRANSFORM is put to.  Your MACing is SHA-1
and there is no encryption within BEX-T.

Speaking about SHA-1, in HIP-bis, we are moving away from a fixed hash.
What is th3e current state of hash function implementation in RFID devices?

Finally what is the source of random numbers in RFID devices?  Do they
have some hardware random generator, do the use a PRF with a seed from
some source (and what is it), or some other approach?

Final thought before I hit the send key....  Consider making the name of
this "the HIP Tag EXchange" or HIP TEX. :)