Re: [hiprg] comments on draft-irtf-hiprg-revocation-01.txt

René Hummen <rene.hummen@cs.rwth-aachen.de> Sun, 07 November 2010 17:17 UTC

From: René Hummen <rene.hummen@cs.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 18:17:15 +0100
To: "Henderson, Thomas R" <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com>, hiprg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [hiprg] comments on draft-irtf-hiprg-revocation-01.txt

Hello Tom, hello all,

On 07.11.2010, at 05:36, Henderson, Thomas R wrote:
> Dacheng and all,
>
> I will send some editorial comments privately but I have some more substantive comments on this draft below, for discussion.
>
> I believe there are some scope or use case issues for this draft that needs to be discussed further.  In particular, I think it is important to distinguish between key revocation and certificate revocation, and try to decide what items we want to consider to be in-scope vs. out-of-scope.
>
> In traditional certificate revocation, it is the binding between name and key that must be revoked, but the name is assumed to persist longer than the binding/certificate.  Here, the name _is_ the key.  This has some implications.  What does it mean to revoke a name or an identity in this architecture?  It seems to me that, conceptually, the host named by the HI no longer exists.  Therefore, I am a bit suspicious of techniques that would try to replace one HI for another.
>
> For example, suppose a HI is compromised and two hosts now have the key.  Each of them could contact a third party and purport to be the "real" owner of the HI and ask to move the HI to a new HI.  Which one to believe?  I also think it would be unexpected if I opened a session to one host ID and later inspected my HIP database and found that I was instead talking to another host ID.
>
> It seems to me that for revocation to work, there must be a longer-lived name of some sort that persists across the key change.  But in pure HIP, I am not sure what that would be.

You have a valid point here. Tobias and I recently discovered the same issue in a bit different context. Motivated by the problem of needing a stable identifier, I started writing a draft about a certificate-based namespace for HIP that consists of a descriptive host identifier, a public key and a binding certificate. Tobias will hold a short presentation on the ideas during this year's IETF HIPRG meeting for me. I would be glad to get early feedback regarding the definition of such a namespace.

BR,
René