Re: [hiprg] HIPRG charter discussion

Xu Xiaohu <xuxh@huawei.com> Tue, 07 June 2011 03:32 UTC

Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 11:40:08 +0800
From: Xu Xiaohu <xuxh@huawei.com>
To: "'Henderson, Thomas R'" <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com>, hiprg@irtf.org
Cc: irtf-chair@irsg.org
Subject: Re: [hiprg] HIPRG charter discussion

Hi Tom and all,

I propose to consider taking the hierarchical HIT research as a new charter
item. IMHO, there are at least two major benefits of using hierarchical HITs
from the commercial deployment perspectives:

First, the ID/HIT registration management service and the ID-to-Locator
mapping service corresponding to the hierarchical HITs could be run in a
hierarchical manner. In other words, such global mobility management service
systems could be operated by different countries and different operators
with clear administrative domain boundaries and reasonable business models,
just like the telephone number space in the telephone network and the home
address space in the mobile IP network. In addition, the existing DNS
infrastructure doesn't need to be changed largely. That's to say, HITs of
the HIP hosts could be stored directly as their corresponding AAAA RRs in
the existing DNS infrastructure.

Second, the usage of hierarchical HITs will ease the transition for HIP. For
instance, legacy IPv6 hosts could access mobile HIP hosts via provider-owned
HIP proxy devices (just as home agents in the mobile IP network) since the
hierarchical HITs could be routable in the Internet. On the contrary,
ORCHIDs are not routable in the Internet since there is no reasonable
business motivation for operators to deploy HIP proxy devices for such flat
identifiers.

There has been some proposals and presentations discussing about
hierarchical HITs in HIPRG before as follows:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-hip-hierarchical-02
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kuptsov-hhit-02
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-rangi-04

By the way, we have implemented the RANGI
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-rangi-04) prototype which uses a
hierarchical and cryptographic host IDs with delegation-oriented structure.
Hope we could have a chance to show the implementation details and
verification results at the forthcoming IETF meeting in Quebec City.

Best regards,
Xiaohu

RG.