Re: [hiprg] New ID: draft-wang-hiprg-service-overlay-00

Miika Komu <miika.komu@hiit.fi> Tue, 02 March 2010 14:30 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 16:30:04 +0200
From: Miika Komu <miika.komu@hiit.fi>
To: hiprg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [hiprg] New ID: draft-wang-hiprg-service-overlay-00

On 03/02/2010 04:27 AM, shen.jiong@zte.com.cn wrote:

Hi,

are you familiar with the latest HIP overlay drafts? At least the first
comment...

#1.  Before one host wants to communicate with another host, it MUST
   initiate a HIP 4-way handshake, and then initiate a TCP handshake and
   other transport or application connections.  It leads to a long
   connection delay and downgrades the user experience.

...does not the take into count the following:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hip-hiccups-01

Please see also:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hip-reload-instance
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hip-via

Regarding to the third comment, I thing certificates in SIM or smart
cards would do the trick:

   #3.  End-to-End communication model depends on the PKI
   infrastructure, but existing widely deployed telecomm network employs
   pre-shared key security mechanism rather than PKI.  So if HIP can
   support pre-shared key authentication, the existing infrastructure
   can be reused.

HIP keys can be also disseminated via DNS as described in RFC5205.

The RVS mechanism in RFC5204 with double jump support should cover the
following fourth comment:

 #4.  Since HIP mobility mechanism does not use any anchor point, if a
   HIP host's IP address changed, it must sends an update message to its
   connected peer.  Such design makes the mobility possible even if
   infrastructure does not involved, but it also causes two weaknesses:
   1)If the connection peer resides in a different continent or if the
   HIP host has too many connections, the update may be time-consuming
   and leads to very high handover delay. 2)If two hosts of one
   connection change their IP addresses simultaneously, the update could
   never be successful.