Subject: Re: [Hipsec] RFC5201-bis and RFC5202-bis status
From: Tom Henderson <[email-masked]>
To: Miika Komu <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 09:44:25 -0700
List-Id: "This is the official IETF Mailing List for the HIP Working Group." <hipsec.ietf.org>

On 10/28/2014 07:00 AM, Miika Komu wrote:

>
> I wrote a checksum generator, and I have independently verified that the
> checksums in RFC5201-bis are correct.
>

Miika, thank you for checking this.

This leaves one open issue, regarding the clarifications to 
HIT_SUITE_LIST.  I originally put a diff proposal here:

http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/hip/trac/attachment/ticket/51/rfc5201-bis-19-to-20-pre.diff

This proposal drew one review on the list from Rene, who suggested the 
following:

1) swap the encoding of the HIT Suite IDs to use the lower four-order 
bits instead of the higher four-order bits

2) fix an editorial reference to “HMAC parameter” -> “HIP_MAC and 
HIP_MAC_2 parameters” (or RHASH function).

3) change one of the proposed 'should' words to 'SHOULD'

While I am sympathetic to Rene's argument in 1), no one else has 
supported this change on the list, so given the late stage of this 
document, I would suggest to keep the encoding as is.  The changes 
proposed in 2) and 3) are editorial, in my view, so I don't see a 
problem to accept them.

I regenerated the diff according to Rene's suggestions, and posted it here:

http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/hip/trac/attachment/ticket/51/rfc5201-bis-19-to-20-pre-2.diff

So in summary, I would like to now convey to our AD that we have a diff 
to the version -19 draft that is editorial/clarification in nature, and 
ask whether and how it can be handled procedurally, such as:

- publish a -20 and revisit some of the reviews (since version -19 was 
officially reviewed and approved, I don't know what it means to now post 
a -20 version)
- avoid publishing a -20 and handle these changes similar to AUTH48 changes
- scrap the diff and just publish version -19

Our AD can let us know how he prefers to handle it.

- Tom