[Hipsec] Ben Campbell's Abstain on draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal-28: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Thu, 10 May 2018 02:05 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal@ietf.org, Gonzalo Camarillo <gonzalo.camarillo@ericsson.com>, hip-chairs@ietf.org, gonzalo.camarillo@ericsson.com, hipsec@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 09 May 2018 19:05:18 -0700
Subject: [Hipsec] Ben Campbell's Abstain on draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal-28: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal-28: Abstain

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal/

COMMENT:

I support all points of Ekr's discuss and comment points. I think this either
needs to use ICE mostly as is (maybe with some minor profiling) or it needs to
be self-contained here. I understand the material in appendix B, but the
current mix seems untenable for implementors. Therefore I am balloting
"abstain".  I will reconsider that position if there is a substantial
reorganization.

Substantive Comments:

I share Alissa's question about why this is standard track when the previous
work has been experimental.

§1, second paragraph: The citation for the version of ICE used by "legacy
ICE-HIP" should be RFC5245, not the bis version.

§2: There are a number of lower-case keywords. Please use the RFC 8174
boilerplate.

§4.2:
- paragraph 5: Is everything in this paragraph from the ICE specification? I
suspect not, but it's hard to tease out what is from ICE and what is new
specification. It would be helpful to reference the ICE bits by section number.
- paragraph 6: I'm confused in that I thought the previous text said that
native ICE-HIP does not use STUN.

§6: I am skeptical of the assertion that the security considerations for Native
ICE-HIP are no different than those for Legacy ICE-HIP.

Editorial Comments:

§1, 2nd paragraph:
- "responsible of NAT traversal": s/of/to
- "responsible of end-host": s/of/to

§4.3: "This section describes the usage of a new non-critical parameter type.
": Which is?

§4.6, first paragraph: 2nd sentence is hard to parse.