[Hipsec] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal-28: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Thu, 10 May 2018 10:00 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal@ietf.org, Gonzalo Camarillo <gonzalo.camarillo@ericsson.com>, hip-chairs@ietf.org, gonzalo.camarillo@ericsson.com, hipsec@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 03:00:45 -0700
Subject: [Hipsec] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal-28: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal-28: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal/

DISCUSS:

1) This document should also update the IANA port registry to add a reference
to this RFC-to-be to the existing entry for port 10500 (eventually even with
note that this RFC-to-be discusses how to distinguish the services using
NAT_TRAVERSAL_MODE).

2) Sec 4.4: "Hosts SHOULD NOT use values smaller than 5 ms for the minimum
Ta,..." In rfc5245bis this is a MUST. Why is this a SHOULD here?

Also in sec 4.6.2.:
"If neither one of the hosts announced a minimum pacing value, a value of 50 ms
SHOULD be used." This must be a MUST to be inline with sec 4.4.

3) Appendix A: "Ta value so that only two connectivity check messages are sent
on every RTT." Why two? RFC8085 recommends (SHOULD) at may one packet per RTT
for non-congestion control transmissions

COMMENT:

I agree with other ADs that it is not clear to me why this mechanism is needed
in addition RFC5770. This is a use case for ICE and I would think that re-using
existing code and library would make implementation easier, fast and
less-error-prone. I especially agree to the comments from Adam!

Other comments/nits:

1) sec 4.6.2: "Upon successful nomination an address pair, a host MAY
immediately stop sending such retransmissions." Not sure I understand this
sentence; why MAY?

2) sec 4.1: The registration to the Control Relay Server can be achieved using
   RELAY_UDP_ESP parameter as explained later in this section."
I guess that should be RELAY_UDP_HIP?

3) sec 4.1: "It is RECOMMENDED that the Relay Client select a random port
number..." Please say source port -> s/random port number/random source port
number/

4) sec 4.8: "When a host does not receive
   acknowledgments, e.g., to an UPDATE or CLOSE packet after a timeout
   based on local policies, a host SHOULD resend the packet through the
   associated Data Relay Server of the peer (if the peer listed it in
   its LOCATOR_SET parameter in the base exchange."
I did not really find anything about this in section 5.10 of RFC5770. In think
the timeout needs to be further specified.

5) sec 5.3: "It is worth noting that sending of such a HIP NOTIFY
   message MAY be omitted if the host is actively (or passively) sending
   some other traffic (HIP or ESP) "
This should really be a SHOULD (at least).

6) Appendix A: "One way to estimate the RTT is to use the time that it takes
for the Control Relay Server registration exchange to complete;" That does
estimate the RTT between the endhost... I not aware of a good way to estimate
that, so I'm actually not convinced that the recommendation in appendix A is
that useful at all.