Re: [homegate] Update on BOF / WG formation

"Kirksey, Heather R (Heather)" <hkirksey@motive.com> Mon, 27 September 2010 09:36 UTC

From: "Kirksey, Heather R (Heather)" <hkirksey@motive.com>
To: Mark Townsley <townsley@cisco.com>, "homegate@ietf.org" <homegate@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 04:37:25 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [homegate] Update on BOF / WG formation

Mark et al,

Apologies as I was in the "busy" category travelling in Asia last week.

I also was rather disappointed at the caveats to the BoF/chartering exercise.  Rather than reducing the possibility of overlap with efforts such as BBF TR-124 (as well as HGI residential profiles), it seems that this new direction is more likely to encourage such overlap.  Additionally, some of the work that I know the operators are looking to see from the IETF (such as v6 guidance in complex topologies) seems off the table now.

I do respect the concerns being raised around the Homenet scope being rather large. I would much rather have seen that resulting in a prioritization exercise and whittling of the topics to be addressed in the proposal from Mark and Ray than a re-orientation towards device requirements, however.

Mark, I agree with your assessment that chartering a group for just this type of work is unlikely to be worthwhile.

Thanks,
Heather