Re: [homenet] Updates to Homenet Architecture Principles doc

Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com> Thu, 12 June 2014 13:59 UTC

From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 09:59:40 -0400
To: Markus Stenberg <markus.stenberg@iki.fi>
Cc: Ray Bellis <Ray.Bellis@nominet.org.uk>, "homenet@ietf.org Group" <homenet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [homenet] Updates to Homenet Architecture Principles doc

On Jun 12, 2014, at 9:33 AM, Markus Stenberg <markus.stenberg@iki.fi> wrote:
> I provided my feedback. Care to enlighten us why your stance is that we _do_ need insanely verbose specification of routing paradigm?

Both of the routing ADs complained about the text in this section.   I do not actually clearly understand their complaints, but after discussing it with Alia (who did not raise a DISCUSS, but was happy to talk with me about it) and with Adrian (who really feels quite discouraged about the whole conversation), the understanding I came away with was that they felt that the document as written was quite open-ended and left available the possibility of doing some things that are Not A Good Idea.

As a routing non-expert, I have no way to evaluate this.   I don't know what the working group wants, and I don't know why the routing ADs are concerned about it.   So when I have a routing AD spend months trying to get the text right, and then get upset when it's changed and move to abstain on the document, my only recourse is to either put my fingers in my ears and hum a tune whilst pretending not to hear, or to ask the working group for help.

I have a lot of respect for the routing ADs, and don't want to just ignore them, so I chose the latter.   There's a lot of knowledge about routing in the working group, and my hope is that in watching you discuss this question, I can come to a better understanding of what to do.   I realize this is a pain in the neck, and I apologize for it--I wish I had a better understanding of the issues so that I could just propose a solution.