Re: [homenet] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-09: (with COMMENT)

Steven Barth <cyrus@openwrt.org> Wed, 18 November 2015 15:02 UTC

To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
From: Steven Barth <cyrus@openwrt.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 16:02:03 +0100
Cc: homenet-chairs@ietf.org, homenet@ietf.org, mark@townsley.net, draft-ietf-homenet-hncp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [homenet] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-09: (with COMMENT)

Hello Ben,

thanks for the review.

> COMMENT:
>
> Minor Issues:
> ===========
>
> -4, 1st paragraph, last sentence:
> I confused by the fact this sentence says nodes MUST include
> HNCP-Version, then goes on to talk about nodes _not_ including it.

I added a note that the presence of the TLV indicates the support for
the currently defined HNCP version. The idea is that in case there are
other DNCP nodes that speak a different HNCP version their information
is still spread in the DNCP sense, but not interpreted.

> -6.4, first paragraph: "Each HNCP node SHOULD announce an IPv6 address
> and - if it supports IPv4 - MUST announce an IPv4 address,"
> I don't suppose there's any way we can make IPv6 a MUST?

I guess we could unify both and make them both SHOULD or MUST. Right now
I can't really remember the argument for or against either but I will
discuss it with Markus.

> -7.4, 2nd paragraph:
> The MUST seems to conflict with the SHOULD in the third paragraph of
> section 8.

That conflict is ruled out by the MUST in 10.1
 It MUST be set to some value between 1 and 7
 included (4 is the default) if the router is capable of proxying
 MDNS and 0 otherwise.

and the election mechanism. If it doesn't support an MDNS proxy
(disobeying the SHOULD) it MUST announce its mdns-capability as 0 and
thus will never be elected and never be subject to the MUST in 7.4. 2nd
paragraph.

> -14.2:
> It looks like some, maybe most, of the informative references  need to be
> normative. They are cited with 2119 language,  cited in other protocol
> definition, or are otherwise required to fully understand this draft:
> 3004, 2131, 3315, 3633, 4291, 1321, 6762, 6763, 2132, 4193, 7084, 7217,
> 4861, and 6092.

Ok we will reevaluate the references in the coming days and see which of
those should be promoted.

> Editorial Comments:
> =================
>
> -4, 2nd paragraph: "Any node announcing the value 0 is considered to not
> advertise the respective capability and thus does not take part in the
> respective election."
>
> Am I correct to assume this means "any node announcing the value 0 for a
> particular capability..."?
Yes, clarified.

> - 5.1:"Internal category":"HNCP traffic MUST be sent and received."
> What must send and receive it? (Similar comments for External Category).
Changed to "The interface MUST (NOT) operate as a DNCP endpoint"

> -6.5:
> Please expand "ULA" on first mention.
Done.

> - 9, 1st paragraph: "The scheme SHOULD be used only in conjunction"
> "SHOULD ... only" is a subtle way of saying SHOULD NOT. I suggest the
> following:
> OLD:
> The scheme SHOULD be used only in conjunction...
> NEW:
> The scheme SHOULD NOT be used unless in conjunction...
Staged for next revision.

> - 14.3:
> Looks like neither URL will be cited once the RFC editor removes the
> appendices marked for deletion.

Okay, will try to see if we can convince xml2rfc to mark this section
for removal somehow. Otherwise we probably need to manually modify the
.txt

Cheers,

Steven