Re: [homenet] ANIMA scope + homenet interaction + charter v15

Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com> Wed, 29 October 2014 02:57 UTC

From: Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com>
To: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, "anima@ietf.org" <anima@ietf.org>, "homenet@ietf.org" <homenet@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 02:57:17 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.98.145]
Subject: Re: [homenet] ANIMA scope + homenet interaction + charter v15

Hi, Benoit and all,

Reply in lines.

On 29/10/2014 09:13, Benoit Claise wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>[sorry for double-posting, but we need the specific feedback from the
>HOMENET community]
>
>1. scope
>I finished reading the ANIMA mailing list and, based on the feedback,
>Joel, Ted, and I would like to clarify the ANIMA scope for "the set of
>specific reusable infrastructure components that support autonomic
>interactions between devices" (quoting the charter)
>
>The charter currently mentions:
>     The ANIMA working group will initially focus on enterprise, ISP
>networks and IoT.
>
>Multiple tracks were discussed on the mailing list.
>     * keep enterprise, ISP networks and IoT
>     * focus on enterprise and ISP networks
>     * everything, but the initial focus is enterprise and carrier?
>     * professionally-managed networks
>
>It seems to us that "professionally-managed networks" is what ANIMA is
>after. And it's potentially a distraction to try to segment the scope
>based on enterprise, ISP, homenet, or IoT. What is IoT after all?
>
>OLD:     The ANIMA working group will initially focus on enterprise, ISP
>networks and IoT.
>NEW:    The ANIMA working group focuses on professionally-managed
>networks.
>
>Does it sound about right?

Yes, it is right. After we develop a generic protocol/mechanism, it is possible that other people may reuse them in other scenarios. It is out of our current focus, for sure.

>2. Overlap with HOMENET
>This distinction in point 1 might help regarding the potential overlap
>of the solution for distributed IPv6 prefix management.
>Btw, the new charter has been adapted:
>OLD:  A solution for distributed IPv6 prefix management within a network.
>NEW: the solution for distributed IPv6 prefix management within a
>large-scale network

That's exactly stated in the individual draft that submitted to anima.

>Also, The HOMENET collaboration has been stressed in the charter.

It would be helpful.

>3. Others
>I believe I took care of the others changes proposed on the mailing. If
>this is not the case, let me know.
>At this point in time, please provide concrete change to the charter
>text if some issues persist.
>Charter v15 has just been posted, and you can review the detailed
>changes at
>https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=https%3A%2F%2Fdatatracker.ietf.org%2Fd
>oc%2Fcharter-ietf-anima%2Fwithmilestones-00-14.txt&difftype=--html&sub
>mit=Go!&url2=https%3A%2F%2Fdatatracker.ietf.org%2Fdoc%2Fcharter-ietf-a
>nima%2Fwithmilestones-00-15.txt
>

>4. Security Advisor.
>I have requested one for ANIMA to the security ADs.

It would be great. Many thanks.

Best regards,

Sheng