Re: [homenet] Routing Design Team outcome and next steps

Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org> Wed, 28 October 2015 02:55 UTC

From: Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org>
To: Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo@google.com>, Ray Bellis <ray@bellis.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 02:55:11 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.0.32.234]
Cc: HOMENET <homenet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [homenet] Routing Design Team outcome and next steps

I'd like to chime in here, wearing the responsible AD fez, and hopefully
add some transparency.

This decision comes from the following motivations:
	1) Fixing the WG dysfunction, it could not continue. (I'd say everyone
knew that one!!)
	2) Get folk working toward making more robust implementations and getting
real world experience, with the hope of vendors diving in and developing
their own product and institutional knowledge.
	3) As it's an EXPERIMENTAL direction, and WILL be reviewed prior to
solidifying in PS; Provide every opportunity for the parties interested in
standardising the available routing protocol options to do so. I urge all
who are interested to run to your nearest RTG Area AD (hint: look at the
IETF agenda for RTG Area office hours)
	4) Understand, at a deep technical level, why routing protocol X IS the
'best fit' with thorough experimentation and documentation.

The positive remarks I've seen on the list so far suggest that we are over
the dysfunctional hump (yay!). I'm looking forward to seeing awesome work
come from the HOMENET WG, and will relish the day I have vendors pushing a
HOMENET device at me.

I'll leave it to your very capable chairs to steward the rest of the
discussion and agenda on this topic.

Cheers, and see you all next week!

Terry