Re: [homenet] Comments requested for draft CER-ID

Markus Stenberg <markus.stenberg@iki.fi> Mon, 27 October 2014 14:47 UTC

From: Markus Stenberg <markus.stenberg@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 16:47:11 +0200
To: Michael Kloberdans <m.kloberdans@cablelabs.com>
Cc: "homenet@ietf.org" <homenet@ietf.org>, Markus Stenberg <markus.stenberg@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: [homenet] Comments requested for draft CER-ID

On 27.10.2014, at 16.17, Michael Kloberdans <m.kloberdans@cablelabs.com> wrote:
> All home routers should know their role; CER or IR.  The status of CER
> places the burden of providing the firewall and NAPT as it was determined
> to be the edge router.  The interior routers need to understand their role
> and disable their firewall and NAPT abilities.  This is why the CER-ID is
> a numeric value (indicating CER status) or a double colon (indicating IR
> status).

I agree with that. However, I disagree with how you are doing it.

> In the case of the eRouter (combined cable modem and
> router/switch/wireless), it performs a /48 check between the IA_NA and the
> IA_PD ranges.  If the ISP sends a double colon or null in the CER-ID ORO,
> AND if the IA_NA is in a different /48 than the given IA_PD, the eRouter
> becomes the CER.  It must now declare to the IRs that it is the CER.  A
> directly connected IR will see the CER value in the ORO and, in the
> absence of another controlling protocol, disable its firewall and NAPT
> functions.

Why cannot it determine it is CER by bits coming from particular type of plug? Cable modem plug looks different from ethernet/wireless? It would be much more secure that way.

> The nice advantage of the double colon is for network literate people like
> yourself to manually determine where the boundary between public and
> private network will be.  If you didn¹t want the Cable or DSL modem to be
> the CER, manually give them a Œ::² and assign a CER-ID to a downstream
> router.  Thus, CER-ID allows for automatic detection of the CER and
> uniform behavior of IRs within the home and also a way to design your
> network the way you desire.

Again, bits coming from cable port <> not sounds much simpler to me. And more secure.

Cheers,

-Markus