Re: [homenet] homenet-prefix-assignment update - prefix length 64 and on prefix comparison

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Wed, 08 October 2014 11:58 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 13:58:17 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: Pierre Pfister <pierre.pfister@darou.fr>
Cc: homenet@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [homenet] homenet-prefix-assignment update - prefix length 64 and on prefix comparison

Hi Pierre,

Le 08/10/2014 13:28, Pierre Pfister a écrit :
> Hi Alex,
>
> Reply is inlined,
>
> Le 8 oct. 2014 à 12:09, Alexandru Petrescu
> <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> Hi Pierre,
>>
>> Thanks for the draft update.  Now I have two questions:
>>
>>> prefixes of size 64 are RECOMMENDED.
>>
>> Why is this length recommended?  I think it may be because of
>> Ethernet?
>
> I’m not a big fan of putting 64s everywhere neither. And I strongly
> disagree with mandating 64 bit long prefixes. The prefix algorithm
> itself is agnostic on this side.
>
> Nevertheless, some parts of this document are home-network specific.
> Not even talking about crappy implementations, home network links
> should support SLAAC whenever possible. Which is the reason why using
> 64bit long prefixes is RECOMMENDED.

Ah, I see.  I doubt though SLAAC is 64.  Maybe Ethernet is.

> But smaller prefixes are better than *no prefix at all*. When there
> are not enough prefixes available (e.g. the ISP provides a single 64
> while we have multiple links), smaller prefixes can be used (80 for
> instance). Which means dhcpv6 must be used. Our implementation
> supports it, and it works with my laptop.

Ok.

> But again, that should be avoided whenever possible. And ISPs MUST
> provided enough prefixes (IMO).

I agree with you.

Last time I checked Free ISP seems to provide 8 /64 prefixes to my homenet:
2001:db8:0:ce10::/64
2001:db8:0:ce11::/64
2001:db8:0:ce17::/64
I dont think these could be aggregated into a single shorter prefix, or
my math is missing.

Second, their (Free's) web interface asks me to put a next hop for each
of these prefixes.

Do you think HNCP implementation may help fill in these fields
automatically somehow?

>> Maybe it would be advantageous to not make any recommendation on
>> the prefix length.  Some times this may develop into a barrier
>> beyond which it will be hard to go.
>>
>> The other question is about the assumed capability to decide non
>> between prefixes, such as to detect collisions.  Do you think it is
>> possible to decide equality between prefixes?  I rather think
>> prefixes have a more refined relationship than just equal/not-equal
>> - e.g. they are also aggregated.
>>
>> If Router1 advertises P1/64 and Router2 P2/65 aggregated in P1 do
>> you think a 'collision' could be detected?  I doubt we have such an
>> algorithm somewhere.
>>

> Equality is never considered alone. Actually, most of the time, you
> will find considerations such as: The prefix is not included or does
> not include any other Assigned Prefix with a higher precedence.

I wonder about the implementability of this statement, but yes it may be
possible to write one.

> This is how collisions are detected.

Ok.

Alex

> Cheers,
>
> - Pierre
>

>> Alex
>>

>> Le 30/06/2014 17:18, Pierre Pfister a écrit :
>>> Hello group,
>>>
>>> I’d like to inform you about the changes made in the two last
>>> homenet-prefix-assignment updates.
>>>
>>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pfister-homenet-prefix-assignment-02

The changes are mostly about fixing typos, but a few technical changes
have been made as well (based on the experience gained from the
implementation of the Prefix Assignment Algorithm over HNCP).