Re: [homenet] draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation vs. DynDNS

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Thu, 19 July 2018 01:07 UTC

From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 11:07:41 +1000
Cc: homenet@ietf.org, Daniel Migault <daniel.migault@ericsson.com>
To: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@irif.fr>
Subject: Re: [homenet] draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation vs. DynDNS

All of this can be done in the DNS without resorting to any other protocol.

_dns-update._udp SRV is registered with IANA for finding where to send
UPDATE request to if the SOA MNAME or the NS’s are not reasonable.
UPDATEs can be secured with TSIG (shared secret) or SIG(0) (public key
cryptography).  The later has the advantage that there isn’t a scaling
issue as the KEY record is stored in the zone.

If you want to experiment with this named has an update policy rule that
allows just such secured updates.

	update-policy {
		grant example.com name * KEY;
		grant * self . [type list];
	};

where example.com is a TSIG or KEY record used by the administrator
to install the KEY record for the node initially.

Garbage collection (GC) had never been defined by a DNS protocol but a simple
one would be to request a TYPE that can live a long side CNAME (like KEY
does) which has the type code to be removed and GC time.  Server policy
could be to add this or the client could include the record in the UPDATE
request. Doing GC with a record like this would be trivial for a DNS server.

DNSSEC servers already do wall clock time based regeneration of RRSIGs using
the type covered and expiry fields of the RRSIG records.  GC would use a
similar mechanism.