Re: [homenet] Introduction to draft-ietf-homenet-simple-naming

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Wed, 30 May 2018 13:17 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, homenet@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 09:17:10 -0400
Subject: Re: [homenet] Introduction to draft-ietf-homenet-simple-naming

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:

    >>> I would just say, "Homenets are intended for use with minimal or no
    >>> administration, so homenets automatically configure …."  Then we don't
    >>> need to have a boring discussion about what capabilities the user has.
    >>>

    >> I agree. I also believe that not expecting intervention helps in keeping
    >> description deterministic and simple. I like your text.

    > Out of, say, one million homenets, how many do you think *will*
    > experience human intervention (either helpful, harmful, or
    > malicious)? I'm guessing several thousand at least. I really think
    > that not expecting intervention is a basic error.

I think you are using the wrong metric to count :-)
Every single homenet will experience human intervention: a human will plug it
together...

The question you want to ask is how many times will a human be required to
configure something which is a normal, every-day activity.  Our goal is zero,
but 0.1% errors on 1,000,000 is 1,000, which is inline with your number
above.  0.1% is only "three" nines.

Then how often will the network need to be interogated for harmful or
malicious activity. At this point, we are not proposing any mechanisms to
deal with attacks, or collect information about current attacks, so let's
make that out of scope for now.

It's that 0.1% situation that we need some kind of accessible audit
information available.