Re: [homenet] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-01.txt

Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net> Wed, 04 March 2015 12:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 13:23:27 +0100
From: Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net>
To: Daniel Migault <mglt.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: "homenet@ietf.org" <homenet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [homenet] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-01.txt

Daniel Migault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please find the new version of DHCP Options for Homenet Naming
> Architecture
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options/>.
>
> The issue raised on the previous version was how these options were
> compatible with multiple ISPs. This use case is illustrated in section
> A. 4 multiple ISPs.
>
> BR,
> Daniel

I finally got around to reading this draft. It's been on my todo list
for some time,

It looks very good, but I am missing the detail of how a renumbering
event would be handled.

Is that the same process as adding a new Homenet CPE?

Worst case would seem to be where a user chooses scenario A3, but the
ISP initiates a renumbering event without warning/coordination (new PD
prefix).

My understanding of the plumbing is that something like BIND running on
the Public Authoritative Master(s)  (slaves) would be hard-coded with a
fixed IP addresses pointing at the hidden master running on the Homenet.
Configuring multiple masters is possible in BIND, so that's not an
insurmountable barrier, and it would be possible to run with both
addresses from the old and new prefixes simultaneously, and let BIND
work out which one was reachable.

But maybe if the NOTIFY process in Section 5.1.1 from the CPE to the
Public Authoritative Master(s) anyway already contains the address from
the new prefix, and the process already checks validity and reachability
of the hidden master before replacing the old entry, then maybe there's
no need to run with multiple masters for any overlapping time at all.

The timing intrigues me.

--
Regards,
RayH