Re: [homenet] Support for RFC 7084 on shipping devices...

Ole Troan <otroan@employees.org> Fri, 04 October 2019 05:44 UTC

From: Ole Troan <otroan@employees.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2019 07:44:12 +0200
Cc: HOMENET <homenet@ietf.org>, 6MAN <6man@ietf.org>
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
Subject: Re: [homenet] Support for RFC 7084 on shipping devices...

Ted,

[top posting]

RFC7084 does not have any support for internal routers.

Futher:
It might just be the way you describe the use cases, there seems to be a misconception about how routers work with regards to ND “advertisements”. ND is not a routing protocol.

Hierarchical PD which you also allude to, was proposed, has limitations and was not standardized. That why HNCP was done.

If you have a set of rfc7084 routers I believe you are left with manual configuration of prefixes and either manually configured static routing or RIP.

Cheers
Ole