[homenet] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-10: (with COMMENT)

"Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Fri, 04 December 2015 16:51 UTC

From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2015 08:51:47 -0800
Cc: homenet-chairs@ietf.org, homenet@ietf.org, mark@townsley.net, draft-ietf-homenet-hncp@ietf.org
Subject: [homenet] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-10: (with COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-10: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-homenet-hncp/

COMMENT:

Thanks for addressing my discuss about the options for
using DTLS. Sorry for being slow with this ballot update.

The comments below are old, I didn't check if you've
made related changes. Happy to chat about that if you
want, (or not if you prefer not:-)

- I agree with Kathleen's discuss that the implementation
requirements for DTLS need to be clarified, hopefully (from my
POV) to make that MTI but I'll leave that discussion to the
other thread.

-Section 9: You should refer to HKDF and not HMAC-SHA256 though
the reference to RFC 6234 is still right. HMAC-SHA256 itself
is not a key derivation function, which is what you want here.

- Please take a look at the secdir review [1] and respond to
that as it raises one issue not (I think) otherwise mentioned.
What is the effect (on a home) of one compromised hncp router?
Perhaps you'll say that's obvious, or perhaps not, but I'm
interested in what you do say, in case it's not obvious:-)

   [1] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/secdir/current/msg06098.html