Re: [homenet] FW: I-D Action: draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-02.txt

Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net> Wed, 20 May 2015 11:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 13:35:47 +0200
From: Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net>
To: Daniel Migault <daniel.migault@ericsson.com>
Cc: "homenet@ietf.org" <homenet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [homenet] FW: I-D Action: draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-02.txt

Daniel Migault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I believe draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation [1] , draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options [2] have addressed all comments we received so far. I believe these document are ready.
>
> draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-02 addresses the renumbering issue and added significant text in the security considerations section. So, please have a look these sections.
>
> draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-02.txt. The only changes from the previous version is the replacement of master/slave by primary/secondary.
>
> Feel free to provide feed backs!
> BR,
> Daniel
>
> [1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-02
> [2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-02

I have just read through
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-02
again

Generally, it is looking pretty good.

A couple of comments:

1. The use of the name "Security Field" in section 6.1 this draft is
rather unfortunate IMHO.

Humbly suggest "Supported Authentication Methods"? [to match terminology
in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-02
]

Plus s/Security/Supported Authentication Methods/g in other sections.

2. I miss more detailed discussion in Section 7.1 about when/if a server
should accept an update of the public key record from a CPE.

Section 9.2 notes this problem but doesn't address the problem further.

Section 9.2 should also probably note:
"The initial update of the public key between the CPE to the ISP
infrastructure is fundamental to the security of the entire name
delegation process. If an attacker can subvert the initial public key
update, then all further security and encryption mechanisms may also be
subverted."

Shouldn't section 9.2 of the draft " It is therefore RECOMMENDED to use
the Authentication Option as specified in Section 22.11 of RFC3315"

I realise that there are conflicting requirements between zeroconf and
knowing precisely which CPE is related to which customer.

3. Is there a need here for potentially further
authentication/validation of the public key update option itself?

A number of mechanisms come to mind for consideration:
- no additional security
- server enforces a strong coupling between DHCP DUID <-> CPE
authentication and customer related data (domain names, CPE public key)
- identifying a CPE by physical port of the inbound DHCP message and
rejecting messages received on other physical ports
- locking updates on the server for public key records whilst an
existing key is valid for this DUID/ DHCP Authentication pairing
- magic trust bootstrap via an out of band exchange leading to a nonce
to be included with the OPTION_PUBLIC_KEY option

The first four items on the list would be server specific implementation
choices, whereas the last would require an additional DHCP option to
transport any nonce.

regards,
RayH