Subject: Re: [homenet] draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation vs. DynDNS
From: Gert Doering <[email-masked]>
To: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Cc: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>, Elson Oliveira <[email-masked]>, Homenet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 21:12:10 +0200
List-Id: IETF Homenet WG mailing list <homenet.ietf.org>

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 08:50:50PM +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Exporting names from the Homenet into the global namespace, on the
> > other hand, should be done by the hosts, with no involvement of any
> > third party (neither the ISP nor the Homenet itself). This is where I
> > argue for some form of end-to-end, secured, dynamic DNS update.
> 
> Why? What is wrong with the owner of the network selecting which devices
> / services he/she wants globally reachable without each device/service
> having to implement (and be configured for) an external naming provider?

This is homenet.  There is nobody here who manages the network.

Which seems to be the main difference in views here - "I have a middlebox
where I can do configuration" vs. "the network is not managed, if I want
something to happen, I do it on the host".

Looking at my parents' setup, things like "teamviewer" work because they
do not need configuration on their router.  It has its own namespace,
registers the host, and it can be found  (due to IPv4 NAT, it needs to
also use a rendezvous server, but that might hopefully go away one day).

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
-- 
have you enabled IPv6 on something today...?

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279