Re: [homenet] Eric Rescorla's Discuss on draft-ietf-homenet-dot-13: (with DISCUSS)

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Fri, 01 September 2017 02:39 UTC

To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-homenet-dot@ietf.org, homenet-chairs@ietf.org, homenet@ietf.org, ray@bellis.me.uk
From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2017 12:39:08 +1000
Subject: Re: [homenet] Eric Rescorla's Discuss on draft-ietf-homenet-dot-13: (with DISCUSS)

In message <150413520708.16860.14531912464478386147.idtracker@ietfa.amsl.com>,
Eric Rescorla writes:
> Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-homenet-dot-13: Discuss

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-homenet-dot/

> DISCUSS:
>
>        A.  Recursive resolvers at sites using 'home.arpa.'  MUST
>            transparently support DNSSEC queries: queries for DNSSEC
>            records and queries with the DO bit set ([RFC4035] section
>            3.2.1).  While validation is not required, it is strongly
>            encouraged: a caching recursive resolver that does not
>            validate answers that can be validated may cache invalid
>            data.  This in turn will prevent validating stub resolvers
>            from successfully validating answers.
>
> I don't understand the rationale for this requirement. As I understand it
> from this document, stuff ending in home.arpa cannot be DNSSEC validated,
> so what's it the business of this document to levy the requirement on
> sites which support home.arpa that they do anything with DNSSEC at all.

Wrong the responses can be validated.  The output of the validation
step is one of secure, insecure, or bogus.  With the exception of
home.arpa/DS and without private trust anchors being installed the
output of that validation should be insecure for all answers from
home.arpa.  home.arpa/DS should validate as secure NODATA.

In particular validation of the home.arpa/DS is important as it
prevents the cache being poisoned with answers which prevent the
stub proving that the home.arpa is supposed to exist and that it
doesn't have a chain of trust from the root.

Mark