Re: [homenet] Working Group draft adoptions

Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ca> Tue, 23 September 2014 21:41 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ca>
To: "homenet@ietf.org Group" <homenet@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 17:41:12 -0400
Sender: mcr@sandelman.ca
Subject: Re: [homenet] Working Group draft adoptions

Late, but:

I have read draft-pfister-homenet-prefix-assignment.  Adopt it.
I thought I read it before, but maybe not.  It all seems familiar, but what's
with all the IPv4 stuff?  I guess we are doing an IPv4 thing, because we can,
and it's useful to be able to turn off detect that have multiple potential
DHCPv4 servers, and turn them off if we can.

I think that we should remove:
  >If the delegated prefix is too small
  >    given the size of the network, prefixes of arbitrary lengths may
  >    be used.

and stick to 64-bit for all the why-64 reasons.  Let's not talk about any
other options.    This document also seems to interoperate with (CableLabs)
HIP.

draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation
draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options

I have read previous versions of these documents, and upon looking again, I
see lots of shiny new text, and I like it all.   While there are many people
who are very scared of having home devices in DNS, and many are worried that
they will be forced somehow to do so, I don't think any such comments matter.
This is, like almost all protocols the IETF creates, optional to enable.
Please adopt these documents.