Re: [homenet] Support for RFC 7084 on shipping devices...

RayH <v6ops@globis.net> Mon, 07 October 2019 15:00 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 17:00:19 +0200
From: RayH <v6ops@globis.net>
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
Cc: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, Markus Stenberg <homenet@ietf.org>, 6MAN <6man@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [homenet] Support for RFC 7084 on shipping devices...

On 7 Oct 2019 16:37, Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com> wrote:
On Oct 7, 2019, at 9:15 AM, RayH <v6ops@globis.net> wrote:
My preferred path would be to look at why Homenet hasn't been rolled out.

If it's because manufacturers aren't updating boxes at all, or even ipv6 at all as per my local internet non-service provider, another standard ain't going to solve that.

So is there concensus on what's broken? And what needs fixing?

I think it’s a lot simpler than that: they don’t have to do it, so they don’t.   There’s no upside for them in adding complexity to the network, and that’s what this looks like.   In order for homenet to see widespread adoption, there has to be a problem it solves that lots of home users have.

Why does an ISP have to add complexity to their network in order to support Homenet?

Because they want to own and operate a 7084 cpe router on the customer's premises?

If they draw the service delivery point at an Ethernet isolation LAN that provides IA PD, RA, and pure unfiltered native IPv6 transport, it's arguably simpler for them than managing a full cpe including local DHCP, DNS resolution, NAT, wireless.....

My latest business class connection only supports ds-lite (ipv4 only, and no plans for IPv6) and not even any DHCP. So there are providers that are looking to redraw the boundary.

TBH, one of the reasons that I am not in favor of ND proxy is precisely that it kicks this can even father down the road.   IoT network transit and similar applications are a clear use case for Homenet; building a solution that’s going in entirely the wrong evolutionary direction seems like an unfortunate plan.

I agree wholeheartedly on that.

Regards,