Re: [hops] Proposal for HOPS RG

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Fri, 22 May 2015 13:46 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 15:46:51 +0200
To: "Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com>
Cc: "hops@ietf.org" <hops@ietf.org>, Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Subject: Re: [hops] Proposal for HOPS RG

Hi Lars,

there are people from RIPE who are interested in this work and were already at the BarBoF. Further we are also in contact which the people from CAIDA. And, as you can see on the agenda, we are also talking to Google and Akamai with people who were also at the BarBoF and it actually seems to be possible that theyl will release some data. In fact we also don’t necessarily need the data itself. If we come up with a common format where we can specific tests, it is probably sufficient to release the final evaluated results.

Regarding one-off measurement, these are definitely also useful if comparable to other results. Further if the raw data can be made available, it might be possible to apply further tests to the collected data at a later time.

I personally don’t know if this activity and interest, we see right now, will stay for long. However, even if this might not lead to a long-time research group, I think it is worth it to use the momentum and collect (and analyze) the data we can get right now.

Mirja