[hops] Questions to ask

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Fri, 04 September 2015 13:39 UTC

To: hops@ietf.org
From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 15:38:57 +0200
Cc: Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch>
Subject: [hops] Questions to ask

Hi again,

at the last meeting, the main interest of the group (for now as a starting
point) was to collect and see measurement data. However, collecting random
measurement data might not be the most useful thing to do and makes it also
often difficult to get access to existing data sets. While the focus of the
proposed hops group is clearly on measurement of middlebox impairments, we
believe we could even be more specific than that and try to tackle certain
questions that you like an answer for or that have been raised lately in some
context e.g. other working group.

One example is on UDP impairments because there are a bunch of new protocols
that have chosen to encapsulate over UDP to enable Internet path traversal (or
at least make it more likely to be able to connect). The questions here are:

- How likely is it that your traffic will be fully blocked if you use (a new
unknown protocol over) UDP?

- How likely is it that your UDP traffic is throttled to a certain rate while
TCP traffic on the same path is not?

There might be even more questions in this context (but these are the ones we
are actually currently working on).

So now, the purpose of this email is, to collect more of these questions such
that we can use this working group as a forum to find a match between people
that have a question and people that have the data to (at least partially)
answer that question.

Therefore please send questions to the list! Or start a discussion on what areas
we might want to focus on so that we as a group can try to find the right
questions! Or if you have data, tell us which questions you can already answer
or at least (at high level) which kind of data you have!

Thanks,
Brian and Mirja