OLR disks in rfc1514

Mark Feldman <feldmark@sequent.com> Wed, 29 June 1994 03:54 UTC

To: hostmib@andrew.cmu.edu
Subject: OLR disks in rfc1514
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 1994 20:27:29 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Mark Feldman <feldmark@sequent.com>

The description of the hrDeviceIndex says that the index must remain
constant at least from one re-initialization of the agent to the next.
So can anyone explain what this means for On Line replaceable disks?

If I have a disk failure and remove the disk, does that mean that I

	(1) must retain and report the entry forever but change the
	    Status to down.

	(2) may remove the entry so that it is no longer reported,
	    (leaving a hole in the table) but may never put anything
	    else in its place.

	(3) may remove it and replace it later with another disk entry
	    at such time that I can guarantee that all other entries
	    in other tables (such as hrPartitionTable) will be updated
	    to be consistent with the new disk.

I think I can ask a similar question for the hrPartitionTable under
the circumstance that I reformat and repartition an online disk, and
for the hrFSTable when either I delete and re-create a filesystem or
when I insert a floppy disk with a new filesystem into the floppy
drive.

But for each of these tables, I think the following applies to each
case.

	(1) the table gets larger and larger indefinitely and
	    potentially takes up more and more resources in the agent.

	(2) it gets more and more sparse indefinitely, but if Im smart
	    I can handle my resource management better.

	(3) well I guess I like case (3) from the point of view of an
	    agent implementor, but that doesnt seem to be what the rfc
	    implies I should do and could mislead a manager that read
	    the table at the wrong time.

Anyone out there have any wisdom or experience with this?

Thanks,
Mark Feldman                          Sequent Computer Systems, Inc.
Systems Management Group              15450 SW Koll Parkway
feldmark@sequent.com                  Beaverton, OR 97006
Work: 503-578-5436                    Fax: 503-578-9890
Home: 503-645-2198