hrStorageSize limits

Bobby Krupczak <rdk@empiretech.com> Tue, 24 September 1996 05:09 UTC

From: Bobby Krupczak <rdk@empiretech.com>
Subject: hrStorageSize limits
To: hostmib@andrew.cmu.edu
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 23:23:23 -0400

Hi!

>RFC1514 defines the hrStorageSize as SYNTAX INTEGER (0..2147483647).
>The size of file systems may go beyond this range. The statvfs struct
>on SVR4 machines defines the number of blocks on a certain file system
>as an u_long variable. This is larger than the above value. Upcoming
>64 bit machines will need even larger values of hrStorageSize than
>4294967295!  One way to work around this problem may be to use an
>artificial value for hrStorageAllocationUnits. But then
>hrStorageAllocationUnits is no longer the size of allocated data
>objects as defined in the MIB definition.

Dont forget that this limitation effects other storage areas as well.
When testing our HostMIB agent on a Sun Enterprise 6000, we ran into
this problem with non-disk related storage areas as well.  Our
implementation does the above for things like memory.  Although you
can allocate memory down to the byte-level, our private-enterprise MIB
measures it in units of Kbytes and we therefore get around the above
limits.

Bobby
rdk@empiretech.com