Re: DoD gets its act together (??)

barns@cove.mitre.org Fri, 09 September 1994 13:35 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: barns@cove.mitre.org
To: Bob Braden <braden@isi.edu>
Cc: ietf-hosts@isi.edu, cohen@myri.com, barns@cove.mitre.org
Subject: Re: DoD gets its act together (??)
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 1994 09:23:48 -0400

I haven't reviewed them since the very first batch of drafts, which
I hated.  Walt Lazear *briefly* looked at the next batch, 9 months later
(about a year ago?) and thought they looked reasonable.  I just
received a draft DSP MIL-STD for RFC 1006.  I think it is less mature
than the others you are mentioning, and there are yet others in the
mill somewhere.  Anyway the draft MIL-STD-2045-14503 has a number of
editorial glitches and one oddity that I think may be a technical bogon,
but I haven't tried hard to figure it out, and it looks like it might
be harmless even if wrong.

Don't assume that I'm systematically reviewing these things; I'm not.
I don't know where, if anywhere, they get in-depth review.  If someone
would want to be added to distribution for these things they should
send an email to Greg Scott, scottg@cc.ims.disa.mil.  The only
"mainstream vendor" I've spotted on the list is Sun (Geoff Mulligan).
There are half a dozen other names that I recognize as people who could
provide some constructive review, if in fact they read the mail, which
I wouldn't take for granted.

There was talk of writing a MIL-STD router profile.  That concerns me
a lot (DTMP/Logicon writing Router Requirements before the IETF does).
I hope this idea died.  Someone should be worrying about this.

/Bill