Re: Re- TCP broadcast storm

Bob Braden <braden@isi.edu> Mon, 08 November 1993 16:18 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1993 08:10:22 -0800
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Bob Braden <braden@isi.edu>
To: braden@isi.edu, postel@isi.edu
Subject: Re: Re- TCP broadcast storm
Cc: ietf-hosts@isi.edu, TCP-Group@ucsd.edu, MGauthier@iit.nrc.ca

  *>
  *> Bob:
  *>
  *> The Morris Worm did not bring down the Internet.  The Internet was very
  *> efficient and effective in delivering the Worm attack to numerous end
  *> hosts, many of which became too busy to do useful work, and were re-attacked
  *> when local efforts were made to clear them.  However, neither the Internet
  *> routers, nor the lines were in anyway attacked or out of service due to the
  *> Morris Worm.
  *>
  *> --jon.
  *>

Jon,

Thanks for correcting me.  I know that well, of course.  I was using
"Internet" in the colloquial sense, to mean the service seen by users.
As an Internet user, I was unable to carry on my usual business until
all the worm-caused host knots were untied, perhaps a day of lost
work.  Do broadcast storms caused by faulty host software fall into the
same grey area?

Bob