Re: rfc 1122 and ICMP SOURCE HOST ISOLATED

Jon Postel <postel@isi.edu> Sat, 12 November 1994 01:03 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 16:56:16 -0800
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Jon Postel <postel@isi.edu>
To: Gabriel.Montenegro@eng.sun.com, braden@isi.edu
Subject: Re: rfc 1122 and ICMP SOURCE HOST ISOLATED
Cc: Steve.Drach@eng.sun.com, ietf-hosts@isi.edu, postel@isi.edu, Kent@bbn.com

Bob:

Wel, searching my archives (paper, the bits are long gone, take a moment
to remember the glorious days of TOPS-20), i find a message from Steve
Kent dated 25-Mar-82 that makes the request to establish this code.

The key passage is:

   "The host isolated message would inform the host that the
   switch to which it is connected cannot contact the rest of
   the network, e.g., the IMP cannot contact other IMPs or the
   PR is not in connectivity with other PRs.  I think this can
   be generalized to most packet switched nets and it provides
   a useful piece of status info to the host software. (How one
   detects this problem is, of course, net specific.)"

--jon.