Question/comment regarding RFC1123 hostnames

Bob Braden <braden@isi.edu> Thu, 23 December 1993 19:29 UTC

Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1993 11:22:45 -0800
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Bob Braden <braden@isi.edu>
To: D39080@pnlg.pnl.gov
Subject: Question/comment regarding RFC1123 hostnames
Cc: ietf-hosts@isi.edu, braden@isi.edu

Cullen,

I can't give you a very complete answer to your question without more
research, but I can tell you that the relaxation in RFC-1123 was, shall
we say, inspired by the 3com corporation, which wanted to use "3com.com"
as its domain.

I fear that some programs that accept domain names may take short cuts
in their tests to distinguish dotted decimal from a true domain name,
introducing additional ambiguity [I am guilty of having written some
code like that myself, mea culpa!].  I would say that strictly such
programs would not be RFC-1123 compliant.  However, while RFC-1123
provides standards for the software implementing the protocols, it does
NOT attempt to specify wise site management practices.  Using numerical
hostnames, or hostnames with other funny syntax, would seem to me
to be unwise site management, since the world is full of non-compliant
implementations.

I hope this is of some help.  I an sending a CC: to the mailing list of
people responsible for RFC-1123, in hopes some others may have more to
offer.

Bob Braden