Re: [hrpc] status on draft-irtf-hrpc-political

Mallory Knodel <mallory@article19.org> Tue, 10 September 2019 06:52 UTC

From: Mallory Knodel <mallory@article19.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 08:52:21 +0200
Cc: Niels ten Oever <mail@nielstenoever.net>, avri@apc.org, hrpc@irtf.org
To: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [hrpc] status on draft-irtf-hrpc-political

On 10 Sep 2019, at 08:26, Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com> wrote:

>>> The use of the terms “normative” and “de facto” requires clarity.  The author is essentially saying that standards are in effect normative, even if we claim them to be voluntary.
>>
>> Exactly, that is what emerges from the research.
>

> Then isn’t that a far stronger thesis?  The question you are asking in Section 3 is trivially true, IMHO.  It boils down to the old maxim, that politics exists in a room of more than one person.  Which brings me to my next point.

Agree that this is trivially true, but surprisingly difficult to reference, a problem that is central to the existence of this document.

I would be very interested in works that go deeper and beyond this, but for the moment we haven’t established this by consensus within the community.

-M

--
Mallory Knodel
Head of Digital :: article19.org