[hrpc] I-D Action: draft-irtf-hrpc-association-11.txt

internet-drafts@ietf.org Wed, 03 August 2022 23:10 UTC

From: internet-drafts@ietf.org
To: i-d-announce@ietf.org
Cc: hrpc@irtf.org
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 16:10:11 -0700
Subject: [hrpc] I-D Action: draft-irtf-hrpc-association-11.txt

This draft is a work item of the Human Rights Protocol Considerations RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : Internet Protocols and the Human Rights to Freedom of Association and Assembly
        Authors         : Niels ten Oever
                          Stéphane Couture
                          Mallory Knodel
  Filename        : draft-irtf-hrpc-association-11.txt
  Pages           : 34
  Date            : 2022-08-03

Abstract:
   This document explores whether there is a relation between the
   Internet architecture and the ability of people to exercise their
   rights to peaceful assembly and association online.  It does so by
   asking the question: what are the protocol development considerations
   for freedom of assembly and association?  The Internet increasingly
   mediates our lives, our relationships, and our ability to exercise
   our human rights.  As a global assemblage, the Internet provides a
   public space, yet it is predominantly built on private
   infrastructure.  Since Internet protocols and architecture play a
   central role in the management, development, and use of the Internet,
   we analyze the relation between protocols, architecture, and the
   rights to assemble and associate to mitigate infringements on those
   rights.  This document concludes that the way in which infrastructure
   is designed and implemented impacts people's ability to exercise
   their freedom of assembly and association.  It is therefore
   recommended that the the potential impacts of Internet technologies
   should be assessed, reflecting recommendations of various UN bodies
   and norms.  Finally, the document considers both the limitations on
   changing association and impact of "forced association" in the
   context of online platforms.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-hrpc-association/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-hrpc-association-11

https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-hrpc-association-11

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts