Re: [hrpc] Censorship

S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com> Tue, 22 March 2022 11:37 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 04:37:09 -0700
To: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>, hrpc@irtf.org
From: S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>
Subject: Re: [hrpc] Censorship

Hi Alexandre,
At 09:58 AM 21-03-2022, Alexandre Petrescu wrote:
>I did not know the .io problem - thanks!
>
>Can I suppose that the .io problem is not as
>accute because of the following reason: they are not at war.

A change request should not be dependent on
whether the entities involved in the matter are at war.

>Can I dare to think for a moment that it is not
>because there are many similar problems that they are not problems?

Yes.

>Is the potential solution to the problem of .io
>to remove .io and replace it by something
>else?  Or is the solution to give the .io to somebody else?

I have not given any thought to a solution as it
would most likely be ill-informed.

>As for IRTF and .su:
>
>Hmm, it might be that a research could be
>performed to understand the human rights
>implications of using a wrong (false) domain
>name .su - this '.su' represents nothing, a non
>existent object; but because nothing is really
>'nothing', it can be said that it has been
>populated by some people who might want .su to
>actually mean something.  Maybe the space was
>free because of inattention and someoe occupied
>for cheap.  And there lies a problem.  The
>domain is in use out of lack of knowledge.  A
>crispation already exists there in that use of .su.

The ccTLD must have some value to the
persons/organizations who registered domain names
under it or else they would not have registered those domain names.

>Maybe it is too much away from what IRTF might be interested in doing.
>
>In that case, I still wonder where else could
>this wrongness and possible evolution towards
>righteousness (migration, smooth for users, the
>humans) of .su could be discussed.  The idea
>would be to delete .su but migrate the websites
>to some other domain, such that the humans (end
>users) still access the content.

There was some discussion within ICANN about what
to do about that ccTLD.  I haven't had time to keep track of the discussion.

>There are also aspects of the .fr (written in
>russian) domain that could be discussed as well
>about human rights and entitlements (.fr in
>russian text stands for Federation of Russia,
>but in latin characters it stands for France;
>this potential confusion, that nobody seems to
>do, might have some implications; it might be
>that new names should be proposed such as to
>balance a 'primacy' such as to not hurt anyone's
>feelings; were they to be called '.fra' for
>France and '.fedru' for Russia, or even
>'.rusfed' in their own language, then there
>would be no confusion problem; other solutions
>are possible; all these might have impacts on human rights.

The above could be about universal acceptance or digital sovereignty.

At 02:42 AM 22-03-2022, Alexandre Petrescu wrote:

>Today I received an incident report in some
>conenctivity.  It comes from an .io email
>address.  But the report has nothing to do with the Indian Ocean area.
>
>Not only there is disconnection at IP layer but
>there is disconnection in our semantic
>understanding of what .io should mean, in the first place.

It's an identifier which people use.  The meaning depends on branding.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy