Re: [hrpc] draft-tenoever-hrpc-political-00.txt

Niels ten Oever <niels@article19.org> Thu, 06 July 2017 08:44 UTC

Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2017 10:43:57 +0200
From: Niels ten Oever <niels@article19.org>
To: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
Cc: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, hrpc@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [hrpc] draft-tenoever-hrpc-political-00.txt

Hi Eliot,

On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 03:15:53PM +0200, Eliot Lear wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems to me that the most interesting assertion in the draft is that
> the IETF are not protocol police.  IMHO if the draft answered JUST that
> question, it would be worthwhile publishing.  Certainly Gueren,
> Dovrolis, et al, would say that it is nearly impossible to change the
> waist of the hourglass.  North and south of that point provides a little
> more room, but just try changing TLS or HTTP outside of the IETF.
> Nuttin doin.  At the same time, most phone/tablet apps bypass standards
> organizations for pretty much any sort of development.  And oh by the
> way, in that case, who cares about the protocol or standards development
> since the endpoints are often coded by the same entity?  (And when there
> is disagreement in that case, the word we seek is schizophrenia).  And
> so perhaps the more refined question would be this: when is an SDO the
> protocol police?

Should I conclude from this that you think that because the IETF does not have total control, it has no responsibilities whatsoever?

I think the IETF has responsibility over what it produces, and should think about what the (intended and unintended) consequences of that might be. Nothing more, but defintely also nothing less.

Best,

Niels