[http-auth] Terry Manderson's No Objection on draft-ietf-httpauth-mutual-10: (with COMMENT)

"Terry Manderson" <terry.manderson@icann.org> Tue, 01 November 2016 23:57 UTC

From: Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 16:57:33 -0700
Cc: http-auth@ietf.org, draft-ietf-httpauth-mutual@ietf.org, httpauth-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: [http-auth] Terry Manderson's No Objection on draft-ietf-httpauth-mutual-10: (with COMMENT)

Terry Manderson has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-httpauth-mutual-10: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpauth-mutual/

COMMENT:

Thanks for writing a very detailed document.

A few minor comments.

1) Please review the introduction, there are several grammatical errors
in there. Meaning still came through just fine, but they were a little
distracting.

2) The state machine diagram of the client is quite complex. A candidate
for the new RFC format?

3) I agree with Alvaro's comment on the IPR. Thank you for making it
royalty free, however not sure you need to add the text in the RFC.

4) This to me seems as it is essentially a shared secret construct, one
sentence from RFC 2361 (security considerations) seems applicable here.
"All the security in this system is provided by the secrecy of the
private keying material." If this the case, please provide ample warning
that (as one would expect) loss of the password from either the client or
the server results in a complete compromise.