Re: [http-state] Summary of discussion of Ticket 5 (Cookie ordering)

Work <mpauley@apple.com> Sun, 11 April 2010 18:54 UTC

From: Work <mpauley@apple.com>
To: Adam Barth <ietf@adambarth.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 11:53:49 -0700
Cc: http-state <http-state@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [http-state] Summary of discussion of Ticket 5 (Cookie ordering)

Sorry, I should have spoken up on this. I think that ideally the
length of the domain attribute and the length of the path are the only
functionally relevant ordering criteria.

In all cases, the most specific cookies ought to come first or web
applications won't be able to explicitly set a cookie on a given
domain and expect that siblings can't overturn said cookie.

However, it doesn't seem that specifying new behavior is really in the
scope of this document, so I'm okay with a SHOULD classification of
the current most common ad-hoc ordering and a MUST not for server
dependance on any given ordering.

_Mark