Re: HTTP router point-of-view concerns

Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz> Thu, 11 July 2013 04:22 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 16:20:12 +1200
From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTTP router point-of-view concerns

On 11/07/2013 3:13 p.m., Roberto Peon wrote:
> The intent was that one could negotiate a zero compression state, in
> which case it ends up being similar to what is proposed here, I think,
> so long as the appropriate key-value (or key) is in the static table.

It seems not to be negotiable from the recipients side. The sender can
choose to implement a non-Substituting HEADERS frame, but the recipient
cannot exactly require it and thus is required to implement Substitution
state for decoding regardless of whether it is ever used. If I have
missed something please point it out to me.

PS. not that I am arguing for or against the current aproach. It is just
sad that the worse form of middleware gains the most benefits and
everything else is put to a bit of trouble.

Amos