Re: [httpstreaming] [dispatch] [conex] Q-HTTP

"GARCIA ARANDA, JOSE JAVIER (JOSE JAVIER)" <jose_javier.garcia_aranda@alcatel-lucent.com> Tue, 16 November 2010 10:30 UTC

From: "GARCIA ARANDA, JOSE JAVIER (JOSE JAVIER)" <jose_javier.garcia_aranda@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "dispatch@ietf.org" <dispatch@ietf.org>, "conex@ietf.org" <conex@ietf.org>, "dispatch-bounces@ietf.org" <dispatch-bounces@ietf.org>, httpstreaming <httpstreaming@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:31:07 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "PEREZ LAJO, Jacobo (Jacobo)" <jacobo.perez@alcatel-lucent.com>, "DIAZ VIZCAINO, LUIS MIGUEL (LUIS MIGUEL)" <luismi.diaz@alcatel-lucent.com>
Subject: Re: [httpstreaming] [dispatch] [conex] Q-HTTP

  hi Janet

i like your example about the explosion :-)
i have attached an image named Q-HTTP_phases.jpg for quick understanding  ( for people that have asked for it)

There are two ways to address an undesirable situation: "adaptative solutions" and "enhance QoS solutions"
For both cases Q-HTTP could be a handy tool

Regarding QoS solutions:
==================
If the files about the way to avoid the explosion are so important,
then these files could be downloaded using SLA , and for sure the user or the
content provider will pay for that.

user-----(pay per FTP with quality)---->content provider-------(pay for quality)--------> ISP

user-----(pay per game with quality)---->content provider-------(pay for quality)--------> ISP

user----( no pay anything)----->content provider ------( no pay for quality)----->ISP

video or videogame is not more important than FTP, and FTP is not more important than video.
 It depends on how much the content provider or the user is willing to pay for it with QoS

Regarding adaptative solutions:
 Q-HTTP also may be used for detect packet loss and adjust FTP bitrate, or
change parallel FTP for sequential FTP. Q-HTTP is a tool. The decision to take when Q-HTTP alerts is open

- jose Javier