Re: [httpstreaming] Agenda and Slides

"Kathy McEwen" <kathy@iridescentnetworks.com> Wed, 10 November 2010 03:42 UTC

From: "Kathy McEwen" <kathy@iridescentnetworks.com>
To: "'David A. Bryan'" <dbryan@ethernot.org>, "'httpstreaming'" <httpstreaming@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 21:42:45 -0600
Subject: Re: [httpstreaming] Agenda and Slides

Hello,

  Unfortunately we were unable to make it over to Beijing for these IETF
meetings (apologies).

I did want to contribute a few comments on the draft and the slides though,
particularly around the scope/problem statement.

Our focus has been almost exclusively on video over the top of the web, and
we have been engaging many North American and European media companies and
network providers over the past couple of years.  Something that has come to
light (repeatedly) has been the issues around consumers consumption of video
over mobile.  Mobile conditions can very greatly from cell site to cell
site, depending on access technology (2G, 3G, 4G, WiFi, etc.), interference,
user load conditions, backhaul load conditions, transit/interconnect load,
etc.

There are many heterogeneous mobile network providers globally, that have a
large variety of many generations of mobile access technologies, which by
their very nature allow users to handoff easily between the generations of
access.  It takes years to roll out new access technologies, so users are
often handing off between old to new, new to newer, and newer to old again
while consuming content over the mobile web.

Video represents a very large load to the older mobile data access
technologies, and a single average web video stream is likely to overwhelm
all user's on an older generation cell site, that could be managed much
better.  This problem will only continue as mobile network operators begin
rolling out 4th generation technologies.

Mobile providers could adopt technologies to take all video traffic and
transcode it down to the lowest common denominator, but would user's really
want to be watching video adapted to 2G speeds (40-120 kpbs/average) when on
4G (2, 3... 100 mbps??)? Not likely. Then there are loads of issues with the
cost of doing that, as well as the messy potential legal issues of messing
around with a professional content providers media.

History has demonstrated that there can be co-operation between media
companies, network carriers and consumers, that would perhaps allow for a
different approach of delivery. After doing some digging on the various
protocols (RTMP/http, RTSP, HTML5/http, etc... ), we found that all of them
that are doing any kind of adaptive rate streaming, but they do not today
incorporate the messages/control mechanisms to allow for the network to take
control and adapt the rate of the video.

Adapting streams (like AMR does in the mobile domain) is something that the
network knows how to do best, and video over the web could benefit greatly
(from user's quality of experience as well as network providers costs,
customer satisfaction, etc) from having some sort of network involvement.
It would be good to show some of the statistics around mobile consumption of
video, and examples of where mobile network co-operation with web video
application's need/benefit.

  .../Kathy